After seeing Chelsey’s Strawberry Banana Oatmeal Bars, I had to have them! However, I was missing a few key ingredients…the strawberries and the banana. SOOO I did what any good cook/baker/girl-dying-to-have-a-sweet-treat would do: I made do with what I had, and what I had was blueberries, fresh from the farmer’s market earlier in the week. YUM!
- 1 1/2 cups GF flour
- 1 3/4 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seed with 2 1/2 tbsp warm water)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pint blueberries
- splash of water
- splash of maple syrup
1. Make your flax egg and set aside for 5 minutes.
2. Combine dry ingredients in one bowl.
3. Combine vanilla, maple syrup, milk, and water in another bowl.
4. Mix your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and stir to combine thoroughly. The batter will be thick.
5. In a food processor or blender, pulse the blueberries with a little water and maple syrup to a fine pulp.
6. Coat a square baking pan with oil or butter.
7. Spread half of the batter into the pan.
8. Pour the blueberry pulp on top and crumble the rest of the batter on top of the blueberries.
9. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
I seriously couldn’t wait even just a few minutes to try it, so the above picture is before I baked it! It is out of this world good! The bottom crust holds together really well and the blueberries get all syrupy. I love the crunch the walnuts give it and the chewiness of the oats. It is not an overly sweet dish, which I really like as well.
My honey and his dad just taste-tested it and they also approve! Their only suggestion is to serve it with some homemade vanilla maple ice cream. Great idea!
I can definitely see myself eating this in the morning for breakfast with a tall glass of cold raw milk 🙂
What about you? How do you see yourself enjoying this delicious cobbler?