Today’s two recipes couldn’t be more different! The first is pretty much a staple in our house and the second is a yummy breakfast or snack that I made up to use up some of my blueberries.
Super Simple Salsa
Seriously, salsa is one of the easiest things you can make at home. I will NEVER buy a jar of salsa again! After scouring the internet for easy salsa recipes, I found one that required an entire head of garlic to be roasted for 45 minutes. I tried it once and it was great, but way too time consuming. So I figured I would make up my own recipe that can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes.
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 wedge of a medium onion
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles (I use Del Monte)
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- sprinkle of parsley (or cilantro)
1. Begin by placing the garlic clove and the onion wedge in a food processor.
2. Pulse a few times until they are both diced finely.
3. Next, add in the tomatoes. Splash with apple cider vinegar to taste. Sprinkle parsley to your heart’s content!
4. Pulse this mixture to desired consistency. Serve with your favorite chips!
I fed one of these to my honey (along with a granola bar and a banana) for breakfast last week. He came home at lunch and told me the breakfast “was the cat’s meow!” Haha! I have NEVER heard him say anything like that before, so it must have been that good 🙂 Seriously, these are very filling muffins that are a great breakfast, or just a sweet treat during the day.
- 1 1/2 cups GF flour
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt
- 3 tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 flax egg (or regular egg)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water (might need a little more to thin to desired consistency)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Olive oil spray
1. Begin by making your flax egg: combine 1 tbsp ground flax seed with 2 1/2 tbsp warm water, then set aside for about 5 minutes.
2. Mix the GF flour, oats, walnuts, baking powder, and salt together in a mixing bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the softened butter, vanilla, flax egg, syrup and honey.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
5. Add the water to thin out the batter and continue stirring.
6. Pour in the blueberries and mix gently.
7. Spray a muffin pan with olive oil spray and fill each cup with batter. I filled mine almost completely full and it made 12 perfect muffins 🙂
I need more blueberry recipes!!! Leave me your suggestions so I can find new ways to use the millions of berries I have 🙂