What a beautiful morning it was! The perfect temperature and a bright blue sky were a perfect way to start the day. Since I’m home for the week, I have lots of time in the morning to hang out with our pup. My honey mowed a little “trail” around our yard for Titan and I to run and walk in the mornings since he has soooo much energy when he gets up. We ran the trail before he had his breakfast, then came back out and walked just a bit of it. Really, I just wanted to get down there to take some pictures of the gorgeous flowers we have around here!
And here’s the view of our ‘yard’ from the driveway. I’m so lucky to live in such a beautiful place!
Okay, now on to working out!
YOU CAN’T OUT TRAIN A BAD DIET
This is probably one of the most valuable things I’ve learned in the past year or so. I always thought that as long as I got my butt moving a few times a week, I could eat whatever I wanted. Apparently that’s not the case! This concept is the cornerstone of the Eat Clean Diet and I learned about it through one of their books. I was quite shocked to learn it because for so long I thought I was being so healthy. I guess not! I actually proved this to myself when I started eating a whole lot healthier about two years ago. The weight came right off without putting extra effort into my workouts.
I have found that when I feed my body healthy, natural foods with lots of good stuff in them, I feel better, have more energy and have overall better digestion. When I feed my body garbage and then try to work out, I find I don’t have the energy or motivation to do it. Plus, I feel sluggish through the workouts and don’t get as much out of it.
Even though it is more important to focus on what you are eating in order to stay healthy (and to lose weight), working out and weight training are still very important.
Just a few reasons to weight train are:
- muscle burns more calories
- you’ll increase the flexibility of your muscles
- you’ll be stronger at every day tasks, such as carrying in the groceries
- you’ll build stronger bones
- 21’s with dumbbells– Start by holding the dumbbells in front of your thighs, palms facing out. Lift halfway up and return to start. Repeat for a total of 7 times. Next, start in the halfway up position and lift towards your shoulders. Return to the halfway up position and repeat for a total of 7 times. Finally, do 7 full biceps curls. This is an awesome move!!!
- triceps kickbacks with dumbbells
- jump rope for 1 min
- cross lateral raise with resistance tube– Stand in the middle of a handled resistance tube. Cross the handles so you’re holding them in opposite hands. Lift both arms straight out to the side. Return hands back to your sides and repeat.
- in and out biceps curl- Do a regular biceps curl (in) and then, keeping your elbows glued to your hips, spread your arms wide and do another biceps curl (out). Return to the in position and repeat going in and out.
- jumping jacks for 1 min
- one hand overhead triceps extension with dumbbell
- overhead shoulder press with dumbbells
- mountain climbers for 1 min
- rear delt raise with dumbbell- Stand with one leg on the ground and the other knee on a bench. Holding a dumbbell in the opposite hand from the knee on the bench, lean over and let your arm hang down straight. Lift your upper arm until it is parallel to the ground while keeping your lower arm pointed towards the ground. Return to the start position and repeat.
- chest press on ball with dumbbells
- plank on elbows for 1 min
- push ups
- headstand for 1 min- please only attempt this if you have practiced for awhile. You can risk serious injury trying this move.
This circuit keeps me from getting bored and works pretty much my entire body. I really tried to focus on my upper body with the weight training, and then total body exercises for my cardio bursts. Another day, I might switch it up and focus on my legs by doing squats and lunges as well.
I hope you find a way to fit weight training into your exercise regimen. It is so important for overall health!
What is your favorite weight training move or workout?