I am so very fortunate to live near A LOT of wild blackberry and black raspberry bushes (yes, they are different!). I have now gone picking three times this week and plan to go again tomorrow evening and maybe Saturday morning. I absolutely LOVE berries, especially since they are so good for you. What’s even better is that these ones are FREE!!!
Blackberry nutrition facts
- These little fruits are super antioxidant-packed! Especially with Vitamins C, E and K.
- The seeds contain Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- They are loaded with fiber. Just one cup has 7 grams!!!
- They have some protein in them too- 1 cup has 2 grams
Now that I fancy myself a berry-picking connoisseur :), I want to give you all a few tips to help you be successful the next time you find yourself with berries to pick!
Things I’ve learned about berry picking
1. Always wear pants! Seriously. Especially when you have to attend a wedding in two days and are planning on wearing a cute summer dress! Don’t be like me and wear shorts…
2. It’s not a bad idea to wear gloves.
3. When you think you’ve found all of the berries, twist around three times, and put your head between your legs, then look again! There are always ones you miss until you look at the patch from another angle. Also, I always find the plumpest, juiciest berries underneath the leaves.
4. Don’t go in the middle of the hottest part of the day (especially when following #1). Unless you like to sweat, I don’t recommend going at 3 in the afternoon!
5. Wear a bee keeper’s hat if you live where I do. Our town mascot is the gnat! Seriously though, if I could find one of those hats I would totally rock it every time I went outside. The darn gnats get in your eyes, your ears and sometimes up your nose!
6. Check yourself for ticks when you get back. I found about 10 on me the other day when I went picking. Luckily I found them in time and was not bitten by any of them.
So, what’s a girl to do with all these berries? Make cobbler of course 🙂 And, most likely some homemade blackberry ice cream tonight to go with it!
I also whipped up these for breakfast this morning:
Berry Berry Berry Good Oatmeal serves two
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- handful of blackberries
- handful of black raspberries
- handful of blueberries
- 1 1/2 tbsp flax seed
- splash of raw cream
1. Bring the water to a boil and pour in the oats.
2. Cook the oats for a few minutes, stirring every once in awhile.
3. Add in the walnuts when the oats have absorbed most of the liquid.
4. Then add in the berries and cook until they start to break down.
5. Add the flax seed and mix well.
6. Turn off the burner and splash in some cream just to give it that extra little kick.
7. Drizzle with some raw honey, preferably local!
More berry recipes to come!
What is your favorite berry? Do you have a place to pick your own berries?