When I am short on time in the evenings, this is my favorite recipe for a complete meal. You can make some of the ingredients ahead of time, or you can make everything all at once.
Rice, chicken and veggies (Makes 4 servings)
A warm, filling and comforting meal for the cold weather.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups liquid, I used chicken stock and water
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- veggies of choice, but I recommend broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (optional)
- salt and pepper
- prepared sauce of your choice, I used a thai peanut sauce
1. Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
2. Add the diced onion and the rice. Stir to coat with butter and let ‘fry’ for a minute, stirring constantly.
3. Add the liquid and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30-45 minutes or until rice is done.
4. Once rice is finished cooking, steam your veggies.
5. In a small saute pan, melt a little coconut oil.
6. Add the rice and saute for a few minutes, then add the veggies and chicken. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
7. Drizzle with desired amount of sauce and stir to coat. Cook until everything is warmed through.
8. Serve to your hungry honey 🙂