I really didn’t pay attention to the fact that yesterday was Cinco de Mayo! Clearly my honey and I did nothing to celebrate the occasion since we were fairly oblivious.
However, even though I didn’t do it on purpose, I did make one recipe on Friday that was very appropriate for the holiday- guacamole!!
I have never really liked the stuff until very recently. I’ve always thought avocados were very bland tasting and most guacamoles were overly flavorful with way too much cilantro, so I just haven’t eaten it. That is until my mom made it for Easter as an appetizer. It was so delicious, I couldn’t stop eating it. When I asked for the recipe, she said she bought a packet of mix at the store to mix in with the avocados, plus a secret ingredient. So the next time I was at the grocery store, I picked up a packet and made some. It turned out great, but I really wanted to make it from scratch.
I did a huge shopping trip on Friday and picked up some more avocados, a lime, some garlic, and my mom’s secret ingredient: Ro-Tel tomatoes!
Easy Guacamole (Makes about 2 cups)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 can (or more!) of Ro-Tel HOT tomatoes with habaneros if you can handle the heat!
- 1/2 lime
- salt to taste
1. Peel the avocados and remove the pits.
2. Place the avocados into a food processor, along with the peeled cloves of garlic, and the Ro-Tel tomatoes.
3. Squeeze the juice of the lime over the avocados, then sprinkle with salt.
4. Blend the ingredients to desired consistency. I like mine all mixed together with barely any chunks so I let it go for about a minute.
5. Serve with your favorite organic tortilla chips!